WHY IS SOUTHERN SOUL ARTISTS NOT GETTING SHOWS LIKE THE R&B ARTISTS

WHAT IS GOING ON OUT THERE I WANNA KNOW SOMEBODY TELL ME WHY ?

Views: 395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hog Pin just joined Boogie Report, and we really just joined this market. As young people, we feel we have a lot of great ideas. Yet, some of things we state might not make some of you happy.
Hog Pin started out in Hip Hop and R&B. We were leaders in several conferences because of our magazine, B.A.M.A. Magazine, and our innovative ideas. One thing we noticed, everyone in those genres except for a few, worked together. We used each others strengths to expand each others music. That being said...
We were blessed to meet Mel Waiters. We've been working as his product executives as we develop our new CD, Soul Time. Paying our dues were blessings because we noticed and received a lot of wisdom from consumers and fans. Consumers' opinions vary. Consumers are unhappy with the prices. Yet, because there isn’t much to do, they attend the Southern Soul and Blues shows. Now, let us reference this. Consumers are tired of the same artist combination. Consumers love the live bands, but are tired of the same shows.
R&B artists present more entertainment at their shows, such as light shows, true dancers, dramatic skits, backdrops, clothing changes and more. We have yet to see most of the elements in Southern Soul and Blues artists shows. If we wish to make their money, we have to be willing to give consumers a reason to want to spend that money. We have to give them a reason to say the next day how much they can’t get the show out of their minds. We have to make product available to them. Most of all, we need to interact with the consumers. Many you of don’t know how many consumers wish just to hug you, hold your hand, or communicate with you. This one on one connection will cause them to purchase merchandise, which will offset the money a promoter cannot pay you. An artist can make $30,000 or more in 6 months on product alone.
Consumers want quality not quantity. We want everyone to think about this. How can R&B shows consist of two or three acts with ticket sales of $25-150? Then… Why do most Southern Soul and Blues shows consist of five to six acts with ticket sales of $25-75?
As for venues, we are from Alabama. Many of you promoters overlook many inexpensive venues that will hold 2,000 to 5,000 people, which mean ticket sales could be $10-15. It will just take some promotions. As a promoter, you can make money from liquor sales, merchandise tables, food and more. Hmmm… Maybe, as someone else stated that the artist could team up together and produce shows. That would mean coming together as someone else stated.
Give a new artist a chance. If you have a show, invite a new artist to open up of you. Cost could be curved by allowing the artist(s) to use your band. We were told that Johnny Taylor and Tyrone Davis worked together. If one wasn’t on the show, the other made sure that changed. Sometimes, the artists and their bands road on the same transportation. They were even getting ready to do an album together before they pasted. Some of you forgot that somebody gave yall a chance, whether it was another artist(s) or God.
We have to network with our deejays. Yet deejays don’t make it hard for artists. We know we don’t have the funds to pay you to play our music. That comment is not for every deejay.
The main thing is working together to improve the quality of the music, the music recordings, and the shows. We must put God first. If we don’t have Him in our lives, we wont be able to work together and grow as artists or as people. We hope we said something that will help everyone.
Out of the mouth of babes speaks the truth. So much wisdom was spoken here. Humility is always the key. One has to recognize that change is the solution. You make a lot of business sense. You have vision. Keep working on you and be willing to help another up. That's where change starts. In this industry many are followers. You keep leading the way. Greed, egos and musicianship is another disscussion.

Well said Hog Pin, We in the Klass Band Brotherhood have been trying to do just that considering we are new in the Market as well. I hate doing track shows the most rewarding part of this journey for me is performing with the Sugaa Shack Boys in the band. If anyone is looking for real Live entertainment and a SHOW thats what we intend to bring. Ive posted a live performance on you tube so promoters can see what and how we get it done. Anyone looking to be entertained please feel free to hit us up anytime. There is creativity in all bookings and we try to make it Promoter friendly creatively. And most importantly give the audience something new. The music is Southern Soul but the goal should be the World!       nelson.klassband@gmail.com   or 803-439-6673   I wish for you guys nothing but success.

Nelson Curry

Sugaa Shack Man!

Well stated Hog Pin!  We could accomplish so much if we worked together as a genre to improve, promote and spomsor our shows!

Oh, We can't count out VH1. They have a VH1 Soul station where they play our videos.
Here's a song you probably haven't heard on mainstream Soul radio:

Pop This Pill by Hard Bargain
http://thebassguy.com/popthispill.mp3

featuring NC's own "King Arthur" Canady!

pass it along if you dig it, or d/l the CD or tracks on iTunes!
LET ME TELL YOU THIS, I HAVE A SHOW IN NEW ORLEANS IN SEPTEMBER I CALLED THE SAME PEOPLE I HAVE BEEN PROMOTING FOR FREE NOT TO CALL NO NAMES AND WHEN I TOLD THEM I WAS TRYING TO PUT ON A SHOW TO HELP BRING AWARNESS TO NEW SOUTHERN SOUL ARTIST NOT THE SAME CHITTLIN CIRCUIT ARTIST, AND ASK HOW MUCH WILL IT TAKE FOR ME TO BRING THEM DOWN AND THE PRICES RANGE FROM 4500-8000 DOLLARS NOW KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE ARE THE SAME ARTIST THAT ONLY HAVE ONE OR TWO ALBUMS OUT IN THEIR AREA, SO THEY STILL ARE FRESH IN A MARKET THAT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THEM. NOW WITH THAT SAID ...... SOME ARTIST KILL THEM SELVES SO THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET THE RESPECT IN ANY INDUSTRY, SECOND YOU HAVE RADIO STATIONS THAT CLASSIFY THE SOUTHERN SOUL MUSIC AS BLUES AND IF WE RE CLASSIFY OUR CLASS WE CAN GET ON THE RADIO , BECAUSE SONGS LIKE ... FIRE DOES THE SAME AS RHIANNA RUDE BOY, LOCK MY DOOR IS THE SAME AS TO THE LEFT BY BEYONCE....... SO WE FIRST MUST RECLASSIFY THE NAME . I WILL START THE MOVEMENT IN NEW ORLEANS ON SEPTEMBER 4,2010 AND WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS

I noticed that these replies were between 2009 and 2010.  It is now 2014 and seemingly the same problems exists.  So this conversation has been going on for 5 years with no one breaking out yet.  I am not here to admonish, lecture or praise anyone.  There are solutions in this puzzle but we cannot keep talking about the problems or coming up with abstract slogans and directives that go nowhere, at least in making a difference.  I have talked to people from New York to LA and a lot of people seem to be waiting on the other one to act.  Real entrepreneurs and real business people take chances, leaps of faith and do what they have to do in order to do what they want to do.  One lady has gone to FCC forums to discuss about major radio not playing independent labels and she noticed that out of all 25 years and 13 forums each of those years, we are having the same discussion.  That has been in discussion for 25 years and 325 forums without the FCC fixing it.  The other issue has been going on for over 40 years and that is; the former and remaining major labels have taken every deliberate step to keep an independent black label from forming and gaining economic stabilization that they cannot control. None of these are secrets, but we have to stop talking about it.  When you know what the problem is, now you can fix it. The Grown Folks audience, ages 35-years to 65-years, is a $50 Billion Dollar a year consumer base.  Yet, no major TV or radio network and no major record label will service this audience with its' music.  Strange? What company do you know, whether it's toys, food, electronics, clothes or cars that will not target a $50 Billion Dollar a year consumer base?  None.  This should be the first red flag as to the deliberate attempt to stifle black economic progress.  The largest Wall Street internet radio station (will remain nameless) (and these are my personal findings) in which you can program your own music and station will not upload "allegedly" Southern Soul. Oddly enough, our own people and community get wrapped up in their scheme of thinking and carry out the same obstruction and lack of cooperation all in the fear that someone is going to break out and become major.  Well, it starts with the breaking of ONE.  It is only going to take ONE to break the whole status quo of the music industry.  The lines of communication have been broken somewhere and the ecology of the music industry has been destroyed. There are many ways to fix it, but it's going to take REAL entrepreneurship, REAL business and a sense to not attempt to exploit each other.  Make REAL deals in which all parties can have their responsible revenue until someone breaks.  Now for the good news.  Atlanta just had the most successful Southern Soul and Blues Show one has witnessed in many years.  Here is the kicker.  This urban city, one of the biggest urban markets in the territory plays zero ( 0%) to the minimalist of southern soul.  It plays a minimalist of hours of blues on a weekly basis.  What I am saying is, this Southern Soul Concert sold out with 5300 seats, with tickets ranging from $25 - $85 with acts that get NO radio airplay and did not need any radio commercials.  It wouldn't make economic sense since they do not cater to that audience. The proof is, this audience, so hungry for a real Grown Folks, Southern Soul and Blues show, came enmasse to hear artists they never heard on radio.  They just wanted to have a good time and they got it.  Bottom line, someone to the risk, stepped out on faith, didn't wait on the other person, wasn't concerned who was going to break out and made it work.  There is so much more to this episode, but I hope I have created a little inspiration that a change is needed and it needs to be done NOW.           

Attachments:
I kno right. I'm waitin! Boogie I hear you putting on big Southern Soul Blues Shows. Well don't forget about me. I'm available!"!

I have found that it depends on where you are located, how many venues in your area and your own publicity plan.

RSS

We are dedicated to the preservation of the original true american musical art form"The Blues" Specializing in Southern Soul Blues Music

About

© 2017   Created by The Boogie Report.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service